Monday, January 4, 2016

Happy New Year

I wrapped up the year a hair under 2k miles. Despite having a solid first 9 months of 2015 running wise, a couple lingering injuries, work and life slowed the last quarter down. However, this summer a running friend who is one of those crazy triathalon types took me open water swimming in the ocean and a local pond a few times. I enjoyed these workouts immensely, however wrapping up school this fall, working, parenting, husbanding, finding a new job etc. had to make "starting a new sport" take a back seat and I just basically focused on trying to "run" everyday. This approach is always my default when things get busy. I defer to "just get my 6 miles in" and basically throw everything else out the window, cross training, core work, racing, etc-this approach seems to either lead to, follow or encourage a reoccurring injury pattern. Once injured, the mileage drops, the lbs pack on, stop, repeat etc. I think that running just cannot be my only endeavor-perhaps the swimming thing might be good. On another note, I took a job in The Woodlands TX, where the weather might be a bit more agreeable to getting out the door early in the morning and swimming year round. We pack up and head south Jan 14th. I'll get my last long run in Lynn Woods this week before the sendoff. Planning on taking a 6 day roadtrip with the fam. to get there. Should be exciting, hopefully a change in venue and weather will ignite some new passion for training-really looking forward to the change and adventure.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Jim Johnson, Madison NH told me you were interested in potentially buying 2 metal detectors. Could you tell Jim what type you were looking at purchasing and I will send him the catalog. Thanks and Take also 2000 miles is excellent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ignore this blog stalker. He is on everyone's blog commenting about Jim. He's been a problem since Christmas time.

      Delete